This morning I received a message in my inbox asking me if I know anything about student agendas on the iPad. I answered the way I always do: No, but I can look.
First thing’s first though. What are we looking for? I am assuming that the app would be a replacement for the paper agendas we hand out to the students each year. Some features would be:
- Easy to use
- Clean, intuitive interface
- easy to import schedules
- It would be great if it could talk to our intranet, but that might be too much to ask.
- Easy to input assignments
- Different colours for different classes
- Alerts for assignments
- If not free, then cheap
- Easily synced with your other devices
That is all I can think of for now, but it is a start.
To begin with, I read this article by a student way back in 2011 who uses his iPad for school. He mentions ihomework and istudiezpro. Then I read this other article from 2010 which also mentions these two apps.
Because istudiezpro has a lite version I decided to try this one out first.
Can you access my calendar? Well, yes please! My life is on my calendar. I would like my life in my agenda:
I used the sample courses because, well, I don’t have any courses. I am the librarian.
You can add an assignment to your class as well as add a partner from your contacts or add a new partner:
You can have a day view or a week view (but no month view, at least not in the lite version):
You have the option to sync to icloud when you buy the paid version. You can also change your settings, though I don’t see a place for push notifications. Perhaps in the paid version?
When you tap on the folder with the paperclip you can see all the assignments that are due and even those that are completed. You can add new ones and decide what their priority is:
You can also add your instructors to your agenda with all their contact info:
If you tap the house icon you can add your courses:
So does it meet our criteria? Let us see:
- Easy to use? √
- Clean, intuitive interface? √
- easy to import schedules? √ Yes, if your schedule is already in icalendar or google calendar
- It would be great if it could talk to our intranet, but that might be too much to ask? x But that might have been too much to ask. Still, I dream of a world where all our applications talk to each other. How lovely would it be for an incoming grade 7 student to be able to import all her classes, teacher info, etc. from the intranet. Or when a teacher posts an assignment on the portal for it to automatically be updated into their agenda? I know. Dream on.
- Easy to input assignments? √
- Different colours for different classes? √
- Alerts for assignments? X At least I don’t think so…Let me try to make an assignment due in two minutes and see if I get a notification….Hmmm. You can’t get more specific than due today and I don’t see istudiez in my notification centre so I guess not.
- If not free, then cheap? √ Yes- the paid version is only $2.99
- Easily synced with your other devices? √
So istudiezpro fares pretty well with the haphazard criteria I set for it. Is there anything else a student agenda should be able to do?
Let me know!
Next in the student agenda saga…ihomework.